Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday Thoughts with a Thursday Catch Up

Catch Up

It has been awhile since I have sat down to write a few lines, so here is a brief update on what’s been shakin in my world.

Firework season came and went like a crazy whirl wind. We had a great year, sold lots of fireworks, put on 2 city shows and had a blast spending quality time with our family and friends. Plus I am pretty sure that I gained about 10 lbs from all the great food that we ate literally 3 times everyday, something I am definitely not used to in Lubbock. Thanks to all my family and friends who helped out and made the 2009 4th of July a very special week.

Post firework season was time to get back to real world, and included me getting a new insurance license that would allow our business to work for a much broader line of businesses. If you are not familiar with Commercial Insurance Packages, let me tell you that it is very interesting business. However, the test, studying for the test, and passing the test was as boring as watching C-Span for 10 days straight. All of this to be told that 90% of what we were learning and studying was never going to be used in the real business…Awesome. After a 8 hour/ 3 day study course and many hours of home study, I did pass the test, and am greatly glad it is over. I’ve only been out of college for 4 years, but getting back into that student/study mode was not an easy task.


TV Recommendation:

If you are like me, you are always searching for a new show or series to get into. Well I have a great one that came highly recommended to me, and it has not let me down at all. The show is called Mad Men and it airs on the AMC Network. It is set in the 1960’s Corporate America and is the story of five men who work in the Advertising agency in New York. The director and producers go to great lengths to throw the audience right back into the early 60’s with over-the-top business suits, crazy wallpapers, and enough cigarettes to make a viewer crave an oxygen machine. A real classic show that is going to air its brand new 3rd Season at the end of this month, so you have plenty of time to catch up!


Upcoming

I am very excited of two events coming very soon; Dove Season and College Football Season. These are two things that I cannot live without and two things that I prepare for endlessly. I will have full blogs devoted to both.


A Recipe for You

And last but certainly not least, I have a recipe for all you cookers that will knock the socks off of your family or guest. I found this in a magazine and tried at a cookout last weekend and it surpassed all the hype from the article, and comes from Barbecue World Champion “Oklahoma Joe” Davidson. A perfect fit for any cookout, its call the “Best Beans on the Planet,” (and yes they just may be):
Ingredients:

2 15 oz. cans of pork and beans
1 15oz. can of dark red kidney beans
1 15 oz can of black beans
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 cups of brown sugar
1 lb. chopped barbecued brisket (I got mine from Dickies)
1 18 oz jar of your favorite barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)

Preheat oven to 350 degreed. Drain beans and mix with all remaining ingredients in an aluminum-foil pan. Place the pan on a cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for two hours. Let stand 30 min before serving.

Please let me know if you try them and how they come out!

4 comments:

  1. Haha sounds delicious! Good to see you found time to rejoin us; you were missed.

    PS the firewater is quite potent this time of year in okc if you ever find a weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your back. I will be trying the beans at our next cookout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bean recipe sounds awesome!!! Keep the posts coming; I, too, have missed you.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like the drama's check out the new show Dark Blue on TNT it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete