Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Relaxed Weekend of Randomness

I often feel like the most random of things may happen to me more than the next person, and this past weekend is a decent example. I had absolutely nothing planned for this past weekend, which was amazing. That’s not totally true because my calendar had two very important things that were going on: Dave Matthews was playing in Dallas and the Kentucky Derby. At one point in time I had full intentions on going to one or the other, but couldn’t find anyone to ride with me to either so I just decided to stay in the LBK and relax.

Our friend Will Smith (real name, not black) came in from Midland to have sort of a last hurrah before he takes off to Norfolk, VA. He has signed a contract to a huge Sail Boat for a full year. I tried on my first pair of Sperry TopSiders about 8 years ago, since then this is pretty much been my dream job. Will is my new hero, and I will be making a trip to Norfolk for a weekend of sailing.

We did it up right for Popeye, took him out on the town, introduced him to some ladies, had a late night concert at the house, pool tournament, and even included a home cooked breakfast at around 5:45 a.m. I think he was kind of glad when his Last Hurrah was finally over.

Saturday did not come early because we had already seen a good part of it, but we did need to prepare ourselves for the greatest 2 minutes in sports, the Kentucky Derby. I wanted to be there so bad, and once again I made a promise to myself that next year I will. My horse “Nowhere to Hide” apparently had a Friday night similar to mine because he was moving sloooooowwww finishing 17th of 19. However, I did get to live the Derby vicariously through my buddy Cade “Walker” Culver (see picture) who did make the trip, and to quote him “had the best time at any sporting even, ever.” You can’t tell me this doesn’t scream awesome, and I will be there next year!

That evening at dinner, we ran into some old friends that had placed a large wager on the 50-1 Mine that Bird, and were chartering a Jet to Vegas that left at 11 p.m. and came home Sunday afternoon, and wanted us to go. We had about 20 minutes to decide, and declined (Idiots!) knowing that come Monday we would be absolutely worthless zombies. Besides, private Jet rides to Vegas come around all the time (Idiots!).

Sunday might have been the nicest day so far this year. About 75 degrees with no wind and we played a really fun but confusing round of golf. There were 5 of us: Rick, Greg, Sam, Greg, Greg (not kidding). Every single hole someone would say “Greg,” and three of us would answer. I three-putted my way through a 7 ½ hour round, but did win money in the Wolf game.

The weekend turned out to be wonderful and jam pact that as usual, did not last long enough. I did feel great on Monday, but can’t help but wonder what Vegas would have turned up. Ahhh well, there’s always next weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Im pretty sure your wallet thanks you for not going to Vegas Or the derby!!!! Save up I will be in town next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned down a private jet ride??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say Hi to Vegas for you next week. However, I am sure I will not be exactly where you would have been hanging out. Did I tell you my luck - I had bought tickets to Danny Gans two days before he died? I guess now I have lots more money for the penny slots.

    Short golf game - still getting you!

    ReplyDelete